Saturday, November 28, 2009

Review: The Prophecy of the Sisters - Michelle Zink



Synopsis: An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-

One good...

One evil...

Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other.



When I first read the synopsis of this book, I kind of shirked away from it. I mean, good/evil twin stories have been done before, and I didn't know how the author was going to take it where it hadn't been before. I finally picked it up, and became completely engrossed in the story. The setting is perfect, and the author does an excellent job describing the places, weather, and people.
The book is dark. I'm not saying it in a bad way. In fact, it's a welcome addition to most YA on shelves now. I enjoy a story in which people are "real". Things in life are not always black and white, or good and evil. Everyone makes choices in life based on many different factors, and this book portrays that wonderfully.
My only problem is the ending. This is the first book in a trilogy, and this first book leaves you hanging. Not necessarily a bad thing, just one of my pet peeves.

The cover is great, and fits the book perfectly. The stone statues mirror the coldness of the Gothic time period in which the book is set. The cover didn't completely sell me on the book, but I really like it.

Recommended if you like: The Gemma Doyle trilogy, Skin Hunger


Right now, the author Michelle Zink is having a holiday contest on her blog where you can with loads of awesome stuff including the audiobook of The Prophecy of the Sisters read by the incomparable Eliza Dushku, and the Gemma Doyle trilogy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review, Travis! And I know you'll enjoy hearing Eliza Dushku read as Lia in the audio version!
    <3

    MZ

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails