Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review: Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves


Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.
It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities….

Let me preface my review by saying that I haven't read Bleeding Violet (although I do have it). I've been told that while this isn't a direct sequel to BV, it makes this one even better and easier to understand.. 
This book is very morbid. I enjoyed it, but some people might be put off by all of the violence, language and other content. 
The town of Portero is very interesting. They have demons everywhere. People getting killed in the street by a monster is a regular occurrence. So regular, in fact, that the demons are mentioned off-handedly in the story, which threw me off a bit. Normally if monsters are going around decapitating people, someone freaks out or something. Not in Slice of Cherry. It took me a little while to get used to the storytelling side of this book, but it was worth it. 
The synopsis doesn't do the book much justice, because there is so much more going on here than two sisters who kill people. I don't want to get into any of the extra things, because it's fun to see the story unfold for yourself. The further into the book I got, the more engrossed I became in the story. It's definitely not for everyone, but give it a try! 

4/5

1 comment:

  1. Since I'm an avid adult horror and suspense fan, I thought this may be worth dipping into. No I'm sure it's not for everyone, but when I was a teen I just would go to the adult book section to purchase books like this which usually didn't involve teen characters. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails